- 1 Creating items manually while browsing
- 2 Workflow to create a new topic
- 2.1 If the user has clicked a simple PLUS (Create new item) the user has to disambiguate the topic first
- 2.2 A modal opens to create the topic
- 2.3 The user adds basic information (title, description, alias and type)
- 2.4 Additional information is requested based on user input on the type (P31, instance of)
- 3 Some intelligent features to build
- 4 Creating topics in the Wikibase interface
- 5 Mass creating topics
- 6 Navigation
Creating items manually while browsing
This would be the normal way of a user.
- Through search
- By enriching an article
- Through a red link
- Through content components
- Just adding
- User searches for a topic in the search box
- A list of possible topics is shown in the pulldown menu
- If the right topic is not displayed, the user may choose to create it
By enriching an article
- In the article, the user notices a topic that has not been linked
- She highlights the word
- This creates a search pulldown
- The user may navigate to a page displayed in the pulldown or create a link to the item in the pulldown list by clicking on the link icon. If the article is from Wikipedia, the link is an annotation. If the article is in Wikidocumentaries, the link is added to the article source.
- The user may create a new item. The item is created with a prefilled title.
Through a red link
Through content components
- Images component > Upload your own image. Creates a data item and uploads to a selected service.
- Event timeline > Adds an event to the current topic. Depending on event type, the value of the event is either just a date and location or a separate item with all properties.
- Newspaper article > Adds a newspaper clipping or makes a search to add clippings. To be defined.
- Reference publication > Add ISBN, URI, DOI etc. to add a publication and present a form as fallback. Follow Citoid for Wikidata development. Save publication to Wikidata, link to topic in Wikidocumentaries.
- Reference to a fact > Same as for above reference. Save publication in Wikidata, reference details to the fact in Wikidocumentaries (and Wikidata, if the process is the same). Chapter, date, page, item in a database or page in a website.
Clicking on the plus button in the header bar allows to add a topic. A specific blank modal opens, see below.
Workflow to create a new topic
- If the user has clicked a simple PLUS (Create new item) the user has to disambiguate the topic first
- A modal opens to create the topic
- Depending where the user is coming from the title may be prefilled
- The user adds basic information (title, description, alias and type)
- Additional information is requested based on user input on the type (P31, instance of). Generally, Wikidocumentaries should not store classes, but they should be created in Wikidata. Let's see how we manage this.
- Note! Interface to add sources
If the user has clicked a simple PLUS (Create new item) the user has to disambiguate the topic first
A modal opens to create the topic
The user adds basic information (title, description, alias and type)
Additional information is requested based on user input on the type (P31, instance of)
Wikidata edit interface can suggest properties that are most likely to be added for the kind of topic the user is creating. Use the code.
NOTE: In the first phase new items are created with basic properties only: title, description, alias and class. No structured, linked information will be added, but it is possible to allow string values, coordinates and quantities. We need better insight into how the federation would work, and how to make shortcuts without copying entire Wikidata locally.
Some intelligent features to build
Location can use a minimum input from the user. It may be one of these
- Coordinates -> Can yield street address, city, country
- Street address -> Can yield coordinates, city, country
- Known location (in Wikidata) -> Can yield coordinates, city, country
- Known geographic location -> Can yield city, country
- City yields country
- Only country if no other info is present
Sources can be automatically retrieved from ISBN / DOI / url / Wikidata ID
- Date retrieved will automatically be added
- Additional data can be manually added here or later
- The data will be saved (locally/in Wikidata?)
Creating topics in the Wikibase interface
It is always possible to switch to Wikibase view and add and edit items. Navigation for that is needed.
Mass creating topics
It will be possible to configure external tools to upload to Wikidocumentaries
- OpenRefine. Follow the development in...
- QuickStatements. Has been configured for FactGrid. See documentation in...
|About||Technology||Design||Content modules||Tool pages||Projects|
|Setting up dev environment||
|Visual editor||Central Park Archives|