Difference between revisions of "Historical map"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
* I will go to the location map
* I will go to the location map select the base map menu.
* In the base map menu, there is an option to select scanned
* In the base map menu, there is an option to select scanned for this topic's area.
* the dialogue that opens, I can select any of the maps that has been georeferenced for this area. I can filter and facet the selection based on depicted time, map scale and possibly other properties
Revision as of 12:49, 4 December 2021
This page records ideas for workflows to work with scanned, historical maps.
Displaying the place in the location component
See the page about Maps.
Finding historical maps
- I browse a topic page and I wish to find historical maps that depict that place.
- I will go to the location component. The component initially displays either a pin or an area or both for the item. To select find and select a historical map overlay, I select the base map menu.
- In the base map menu, there is an option to select a scanned map for this topic's area.
- In the dialogue that opens, I can select any of the maps that has been georeferenced for this area. I can filter and facet the selection based on depicted time, map scale and possibly other properties.
- I can expand the search to maps that have not been georeferenced.
- I navigate to the maps component to see which maps are available for this area.
- The maps are read from several sources
- Image files from all the image sources connected to Wikimaps
- Georeferenced maps from tile servers
- Maps from IIIF servers serving old maps
- I can facet the maps based on several criteria
- Warped / unwarped
- I can do the same actions as for images after saving to Wikimedia Commons: confirm the topic / remove from the topic, add to a collection etc.
- I can georeference un unwarped map in Wikidocumentaries using the Georeferencing tool (Allmaps). The image is first saved into Wikimedia Commons, if not already there. How will it be made available for IIIF?
- I can annotate items on the unwarped map using an annotation interface. (Can this be the same as for images?) The annotation geometries are saved to xxx, and they can be warped along with the map (Allmaps).
- I can
|About||Technology||Design||Content modules||Tool pages||Projects|
|Setting up dev environment||
|Visual editor||Central Park Archives|