Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page records ideas for workflows to work with scanned, historical maps.
Displaying the place
Finding historical maps
- I browse a topic page and I wish to find historical maps that depict that place.
- I will go to the location map and select the base map menu.
- In the base map menu, there is an option to select scanned maps for this topic's area.
- in the dialogue that opens, I can select any of the maps that has been georeferenced for this area. I can filter and facet the selection based on depicted time, map scale and possibly other properties.
- I navigate to the maps component to see which maps are available for this area.
- The maps are read from several sources
- Image files from all the image sources connected to Wikimaps
- Georeferenced maps from tile servers
- Maps from IIIF servers serving old maps
- I can facet the maps based on several criteria
- Warped / unwarped
- I can do the same actions as for images after saving to Wikimedia Commons: confirm the topic / remove from the topic, add to a collection etc.
- I can georeference un unwarped map in Wikidocumentaries using the Georeferencing tool (Allmaps). The image is first saved into Wikimedia Commons, if not already there. How will it be made available for IIIF?
- I can annotate items on the unwarped map using an annotation interface. (Can this be the same as for images?) The annotation geometries are saved to xxx, and they can be warped along with the map (Allmaps).
- I can