Collect links tool: The links can be navigated with the arrows above the link text. To be able to see behind the popup, the popup can be hidden from a button or by toggling by clicking on the link itself (TBD). If there is no connection between the items (the page topic and the link topic), the popup opens in edit mode, else in list mode.
Currently, Wikidocumentaries displays the Wikipedia article about the topic when the item exists in Wikidata. When the project is developed, it could display articles from other sources as well
- Wikidocumentaries own wiki if the item is created in the Wikidocumentaries wiki or if an item is from a federated Wikibase that does not use articles. See further down the section on it.
- It has been proposed, that Wikisource original material could be displayed in the space for the article. See the proposal.
- Sometimes authority sources have articles that could also be displayed.
The sources could be displayed in a fallback order, and if there were more than one candidate, they could be added to a menu.
The article is initially displayed in the user's language. The user is given the option to view the article in another language while the interface stays in the user's language.
The article are displays a message when the related Wikipedia article does not exist
- Message if the article does not exist in the user's language but exists in another
- Message if the article does not exist in any language
- Message if the user wishes to see an automatically created article. With Abstract Wikipedia, the article can be automatically created from facts.
When we are capable of storing user information, we could set a language fallback chain and use it for displaying the articles.
The article is displayed in compact and expanded modes.
- In the compact mode, the article's beginning is displayed. The layout takes full width of the browser page.
- When expanded, the article is displayed in a reader-friendly layout with tables and large images. Many templates remain unreadable, because they are custom-built in each Wikipedia. Images could open full-screen like this https://fat.github.io/zoom.js/. The code exists for Vue for example https://popmotion.io/pose/learn/vue-tutorial-medium-style-image-zoom/, https://codesandbox.io/s/github/francoischalifour/medium-zoom/tree/master/examples/vue?view=preview
- Links in Wikipedia articles are redirected to Wikidocumentaries pages based on Wikidata QIDs. See linking.
- Problem cases in Wikipedia: Page redirects, links to other namespaces than articles.
- Red links are currently not displayed as links. They could trigger a label search function in Wikidata. The same method could be applied for arbitrarily selected text. The resulting link could be saved for adding to the Wikipedia article, but it would be useful also without saving. This would be some kind of annotation mechanism, see also W3C Web Annotation recommendations.
One button is dedicated to linking to the article on the source.
For Wikipedia articles
- "External link" symbol is displayed for viewing or editing the article in Wikipedia.
- If other sources are included, the icon could change accordingly.
- If the article is missing from Wikipedia in the user's language, the "Plus" icon is used.
- Wikidocumentaries can be viewed in languages that Wikidata supports, even if there is no Wikipedia in that language. The missing article action produces an error in cases where there is no language Wikipedia.
- An intermediate step would be useful where the article names could be decided according to the target Wikipedia's practices before directing to the article creation page.
Ideas for articles that exist in Wikidocumentaries
- Enable the use Visual Editor locally to edit the article and links. It will need to be modified to meet the local needs.
- When displaying items that exist in Wikidocumentaries only, the article would also be created in the local wiki. Later, when the local item gets imported to Wikidata, the resulting articles could be imported or merged with Wikipedias. This is a very difficult challenge, and a notification might be enough for volunteers to do the merge manually.
- List of links to all articles language version regardless of user settings or site translations.
- All languages are displayed in a scrollable list
- Display a link to Content Translate, when displaying the article in another language, and the user's language article does not exist.
- Tasks of picking the links in the text and adding to Wikidata
- Button is placed below the article. When clicked, it displays the full article and moves the Wikidata block to the end of the article.
How should the local articles be managed?
Local articles for topics that only exist in Wikidocumentaries could be created in Wikidocumentaries.
- All language versions of a Wikidocumentaries article are stored as separate wiki pages in Wikidocumentaries.
- Articles will have entries in the Wikibase to be able to connect them to different topics and language versions or they can be added using the modified sitelinks feature.
- Navigating the articles in different languages in the Wikidocumentaries MediaWiki needs a solution to connect them together.
- The user should be able to use a modified Visual Editor to edit (local) articles. It needs to be modified to support bespoke linking. This is a more general federation need.
Wikidocumentaries article data
What is the data to be saved about an article in Wikidocumentaries database.
- Topic articles
- Topic id
- Language id
- Article location (If the articles are arranged in a hierarchical tree structure, then an additional title will be needed. Should be more flexible that way.
- Translatable title
- Testimonial articles
- Depicted items --> Could also investigate existing Wikidata properties
- Depicted date
- Depicted location
- Author (these are not collaboratively editable). The link to a user is not a Wikibase entry for privacy reasons unless made public --> How to handle. Start with an easy solution.
- The article should be translatable (local file to local file), preferably with Content Translate.
- Visual editor should be extended with a gadget that can make links based on Wikidata entries rather than local wiki links.
- Wikibase should be able to maintain an index of translations of an article. Can sitelinks be recycled?
|About||Technology||Design||Content modules||Tool pages||Projects|
|Setting up dev environment||
|Visual editor||Central Park Archives|