Jump to navigation Jump to search
Project parts & components status
Updated 20 June 2019
- Topic page
- Navigating via Wikidata items
- Display articles
- Article translations menu
- Article placeholder for missing articles or translations
- Reading images via APIs
- Display images in the Image grid with proper metadata mapping and missing image placeholders
- Display images in the Image viewer with metadata display, no zoom (media metadata)
- Translations into TranslateWiki
- Gallery of people, works, events (UI html, methods, queries)
- Timeline exists in a preliminary version
- Map component exists and can be developed further
- Reads historical map layers
In the pipeline
Ready to go
- Header content options: Single image, series of portraits, slideshow
- Filter or downgrade extra large images from the Image grid display
- New visualisations using SPARQL data (graph visualisations, geographic shapes and points, family tree, statistics, time series of politicians, rulers etc., containing entity gallery or other type of visualisation)
- Table of contents for a page
- Right to left support in the interface
High priority with blockers (blocker)
- Geolocating tool (local data storage, communicating with sources and Wikimedia Commons)
- User account creation (combatting spam, user data storage modelling in MediaWiki)
- New local item creation (user accounts for editing, federation for using Wikidata properties)
- Local articles (Installing Visual editor, modifying the functions to serve linking, federation blocks linking)
- Allowing user submitted images (define storage location and retrieval, user data)
Low hanging fruit (dependencies)
- Image upload from results to Wikimedia Commons (write methods to Wikimedia Commons, provenance management)
- Image metadata comparison and save into Wikimedia Commons (write methods to Wikimedia Commons, provenance management, local save methods)
- Image curation by making an image action (First actions, methods and data structure to save)
- First action could be selecting the main image from the results (image save mechanism and metadata mapping)
- Removing from a result set (Persistent menu design, methods and data structure to save)
- Search via selecting text or redlinks (front coding for the selector)
- Medium-like article formatting for reading (Vue code available, design for page behavior.
- Creating the article index for search engines (list of items to include, more mature topic page, link structure settled)
- Create image collections (user data, collection UI)
20 June 2019
Past and future presentations
- Presentation accepted to Sharing is Caring in Stockholm 16–17 September
- Presentations proposed to Wikimania Stockholm and WikidataCon, Berlin
- Presented at Aalto Heldig DH Pizza 26 April
- Presented at Creative Commons Global Summit 2019, Lisbon
- A pilot will start with the Vallila Community Garden Museum. Historical plants, maps, aerial footage, interviews and a cultural historical study will in the scope of the pilot. A key challenge is how privacy and consent to publishing are handled. The timeframe for this is the rest of the year 2019.
4 November 2018
- Presented at GLAM-Wiki. The slide deck was started for that presentation but it keeps on evolving.
- Hack4FI, co-development with the National Archives and Finna. Focus on sections: Bibliography, Building plans, Family tree, Correspondence, Rephotography, Historical maps
- Wikidocumentaries will be present at WikiCite, focus on the Bibliography section for that.
15 September 2018
- Blog released at http://blog.wikidocumentaries.io
- Application for the Kone Foundation prepared.
- Upcoming presentations: GLAMwiki 2018
- Upcoming events: Vantaa photography walks 13, 20, and 27 September. Rauma rephotography safari 22 September.
- Finna + Wikidocumentaries UX workshop 21 September.
11 September 2018
- Workshop at Maria 01 to decide on the initial data structure
- Ongoing collaboration with Wiki Loves Monuments with rephotography
8 June 2018
Wikidocumentaries workshop on June 12, Maria 01, 00180 Helsinki
26 May 2018
MVP, minimum viable product for the first iteration will include (this will be discussed with the team and the community):
- Data modelling (corresponding items and properties with Wikidata, API definitions, user generated data, local properties, namespaces)
- Creating topics on-the-fly and one-by-one
- Including articles on the topic page, substituting the links with local links
- Display infoboxes on the topic page
- Display images from external archives on the topic page
- GDPR compliance
24 May 2018
The project will start developing this environment first as a plain MediaWiki, but aim for a completely independent front-end during 2018.
There will be a separate Technology page describing the technological goals of the project.
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.
- Configuration settings list
- MediaWiki FAQ
- MediaWiki release mailing list
- Localise MediaWiki for your language
- Learn how to combat spam on your wiki
|About||Technology||Design||Content modules||Tool pages||Projects|
|Setting up dev environment||
|Visual editor||Central Park Archives|